All applicants must provide documentation of English language qualifications identical or comparable with an 'English B level' with a minimum GPA of 3.0 in the Danish upper secondary school ('gymnasium').
Please note that the requirements have been updated in 2020!
Your qualifications MUST be documented by uploading one of the documents seen below. All other kinds of documentation are invalid.
If your documentation does not fall within one of the exceptions listed below, you must enclose a test (see the list below). Applications without valid documentation will be rejected.
The test result CANNOT be submitted after the application deadline.
We DO NOT grant exemptions from the English language requirements.
See our FAQ page (Academic background and Admission - Language skills) if you have any questions.
English language qualifications comparable to an 'English B level' in Denmark can be documented as follows:
English B = Test result of at least 83 (internet-based test, TOEFL iBT and TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition test).
- Aarhus University does not accept the TOEFL ITP, TOEFL Essentials, TOEFL MyBest scores or paper-based tests (incl. TOEFL ITP Plus for China Solution).
- When you sign up for a TOEFL test, you must request the test center to add Aarhus University as a recipient of your test result in order for us to verify your test result.
The Aarhus University TOEFL code is 8935.
Please see this page about registering for TOEFL test
English B = IELTS Academic test result of at least 6.5 points (in the overall band score).
- Please see this page about registering for IELTS test
- Cambridge ESOL examinations
English B = Cambridge English Advanced (grades A, B or C) or Cambridge English First (grade A) or 180 points as a minimum on the Cambridge English Scale.
The grade must be within the blue area:
- You must share your results with Aarhus University via the Candidate Results Website (candidates.cambridgeenglish.org). To access this website you must register using your ‘Candidate ID’ and ‘Secret Number’ (obtained from your exam centre). We do not accept test results that cannot be verified through the Cambridge website.
In addition, the following applies:
- The test result must not be more than two years old at the time of application.
Does not apply to the diploma from a Danish upper secondary school ('gymnasium').
- You must upload your test result to your application through the application portal.
- Both IELTS and TOEFL are offered in Denmark. TOEFL is specifically offered in Aarhus.
- Current exchange students should be aware that they must also document their English language qualifications when applying for a PhD degree programme.
As a rule you need to submit a language test or one of the other approved documentations stated on this website when you apply for a PhD scholarship/fellowship or enrolment with external funding.
Due to the Corona virus the graduate school has decided to make an exception to these application deadlines: 15 March 2021, 1 October 2021 and 15 March 2022.
- You may upload the result of your old language test (TOEFL, IELTS and Cambridge) although the test result is more than 2 years old.
- If you cannot meet the documentation requirements on this website and all language tests have been cancelled due to the Corona virus in your country then you need to upload a statement to your application. Please state that you have been unable to sign up for a new language test because they have all been cancelled. Please also state that you will take the test as soon as possible.
If you get the PhD scholarship/fellowship you must be able to provide us with a language test at that time.