All applicants must provide documentation of excellent communication skills in English which are considered essential, and you must therefore be able to read, write, and speak academic English fluently. English language requirement is comparable to a minimum of TOEFL 83 or IELTS 6,5.
Your qualifications can be documented by uploading one of the documents seen below.
Attach supporting documentation of your English proficiency.
The PhD administration may ask you to document you proficiency in English at any time during the recruitment process if you have not uploaded the documentation to your application and if the assessment committee considers it necessary.
See our Application guide (Language skills) if you have any questions.
Below you will find examples on ways to document your English skills.
English language qualifications comparable to an 'English B level' in Denmark can be documented as follows:
English B = Test result of at least 83 (internet-based test, TOEFL iBT and TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition test).
- Aarhus University does not accept the TOEFL ITP, TOEFL Essentials, TOEFL MyBest scores or paper-based tests (incl. TOEFL ITP Plus for China Solution).
English B = IELTS Academic test result of at least 6.5 points (in the overall band score).
- Cambridge ESOL examinations
English B = Cambridge English Advanced (grades A, B or C) or Cambridge English First (grade A) or 180 points as a minimum on the Cambridge English Scale.
The grade must be within the blue area:
In addition, the following applies:
- We accept test results older than two years.
- You must upload your test result to your application through the application portal.
- Both IELTS and TOEFL are offered in Denmark. TOEFL is specifically offered in Aarhus.